This vibrant detox beet soup can be enjoyed hot or cold. Cozy up to it on a chilly night or enjoy it chilled on a summer afternoon!
Beets are a nutritious powerhouse. This root veggie is low in fat, rich in fiber and antioxidants, and packed with key nutrients such as vitamin B, iron and manganese. They also have amazing health benefits, and are known for being able to naturally detox the body.
To find quality, fresh beetroots, always look for those with their greens intact. The beetroot should be firm, smooth, and a vibrant red-purple, not squishy, wrinkled or dull in color. To prepare the beets for roasting, slice off the leaves, then wash the beets under cool water along with the sweet potatoes. Next, wrap each beet and sweet potato in foil. Roast them at 400°F for about an hour. You’ll know when they’re done if a fork slides easily into their centers.
When they’re ready, take them out of the oven. Once they’re cool enough to handle, peel off the skin with your hands. If your hands get stained from the beets, don’t worry. Simply rub some lemon juice over them to help remove the color.
From here, everything’s a breeze. All that’s left is to blend the roasted veggies with sautéed onion, vegetable stock and coconut milk, add the spices, and you’ll have a tasty soup that you can enjoy hot or cold. You can make a batch of it on Sunday and enjoy it all week long or store your beet soup in the freezer for later when you don’t have time to cook and want a delicious meal.
Detox Beet Soup with Coconut Milk
- Baking tray
- Tin foil
- 3 large red beets
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t cumin powder
- 1/2 t coriander powder
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 T fresh chives, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and beets under cool running water. Wrap them in separate foil sheets, place them on a baking tray, and roast for 1 hour. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, chop and sauté the onion with extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and coriander. Set aside.
- Once the beetroots and potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off, chop into cubes, and place them into a blender. Add onion mix, coconut milk and 3 cups of vegetable stock. Blend until smooth. If you find it too thick, gradually add another cup of stock until you reach your desired consistency.
- If you’d like to enjoy it hot, heat soup in a saucepan. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with coconut milk and chopped chives.
(You’ll Also Love: The Best Butternut Squash Soup Recipe)