This comforting beef soup recipe is made with deliciously wholesome ingredients: carrots, onions, celery, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and stew meat!
This simple, hearty soup comes together in just 30 minutes. You can whip up this recipe for lunch or dinner; the flavorful broth is especially comforting on rainy nights. Sweet potatoes and carrots soak up the savory spices as it simmers, while the beef gets perfectly tender.
A few notes: For an even deeper flavor, simmer the ingredients up to one hour. And to thicken the broth, add ½ cup of red wine to the recipe; this also helps bring out the flavors of the vegetables and meat.
If you have time to spare, this beef soup can be made ahead of time in a slow cooker. Simply toss all the ingredients in the slow cooker and set it to low. In 6 hours, it’ll be ready eat! It freezes well too, making this beef tomato dish a great make-ahead meal.
Rainy Day Beef Tomato Soup Recipe
- Large pot
- 1 lb grass-fed beef stew meat, sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 4 cups organic vegetable or beef broth
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 T garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add diced celery, onion, and carrots. Sauté 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Add beef stew meat, sweet potatoes, salt and pepper. Sauté another 4-5 minutes until the beef is cooked.
- Place tomatoes with juice in the pot with broth and seasonings. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the pot is boiling, reduce the heat to low. Simmer on low 20 minutes, allowing flavors to combine.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
(You’ll Also Love: 5-Ingredient Meatball Soup with Bone Broth)