Whether you’re looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer or a satisfying snack, these jalapeño poppers are stuffed with cashew “cheese” cover all the bases. Did we mention they’re wrapped in bacon? You’re welcome.
If you’re a fan of the Paleo diet, it’s safe to assume that you know all about the wonders of cashew cheese. Whether you’re spreading it over zucchini noodles for a Paleo lasagna or using it as a veggie dip, cashews make an easy go-to for swapping cheese.
The subtle flavor of nuts make them a terrific, dairy-free base, which takes on the flavor of anything you season them with. For desserts, they can be turned into a sweet filling. And for savory dishes, they can be seasoned with herbs and spices.
One of my new favorite ways to use cashew cheese is stuffing it into jalapeño halves, wrapping in bacon, and baking it. The result is a spicy appetizer with a creamy center, which is perfect for game days. Think jalapeño poppers without the frying!
Start by soaking cashews in water for at least 4 hours ahead of time, which softens them. Soaking also helps make the cashews easier to digest.
Next, combine cashews with nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and sea salt in a blender. Blend until smooth. Use a wooden spoon to periodically scrape the sides of the blender.
Stir in chives or any of your favorite herbs. Basil, garlic, or cilantro would be delicious. Lengthwise, slice the jalapeños in half. Use the tip of a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Fill each half with a spoonful of cashew cheese, using your fingers to gently press the cheese into the jalapeño.
Wrap a strip of bacon around each jalapeño half, and set them on a baking sheet. For more evenly baked results, it’s best to use a thin or medium cut of bacon. Before sinking your teeth into the spicy goodness, give the jalapeños a few minutes to cool off.
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers with Cashew Cheese
- Small bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- 8 strips of bacon
- 4 jalapeños (halved lengthwise and seeds removed)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T chives (minced)
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 1/2 t sea salt
- Drain cashews. Add them to a blender with nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and sea salt. Pulse until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in chives.
- Preheat oven to 400°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a spoon to scoop cashew cheese into jalapeño halves, and wrap each half with one strip of bacon.
- Place jalapeños on baking sheet, and bake for 35-40 minutes on center rack of oven.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Check out more sneaky ways to use cashew cheese below:
(You’ll Also Love: Spicy Jalapeño Bacon Deviled Eggs Recipe)